Thursday, November 15, 2007

Vista and Java

I got a new laptop at work and it has Vista on it. I decided to give it a go for work. After a month, I'm starting to get really irritated. I'm not going to digress too much here. What I really want to bring up is the networking in Vista. If you run "ipconfig /all" in Vista you get a list of 15 items, but in XP SP2, you only get what makes sense. You get the physical adapters and thats it. But my problem is more directly related to the what multicast packets get handled. I'm working a piece of test code that I'll probably post later. It basically creates a thread to list to a socket set to listen for multicast packets on a specific group and port. Then a second thread is created to send 8 packets out to that group and port. In Vista, the packets are never recieved but in XP they are. I discovered this because it also doesn't work in JmDNS. The Java implementation of multicast DNS uses that exact technique and it fails to work on Vista, but works on XP. I don't want to have to install XP just do work, but if I can't figure this out, then I'll have to go "backwards." I'll post the code later.

No comments: