Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Groovy 101?

I attended Andrew Glover's Groovy 101 tutorial and I have to say that I was fairly impressed at some of the stuff that you could do very easily in Groovy. I definitely do not like the name, but that aside I decided to give some Groovy coding a try.

Firstly, it is really easy to move into Groovy programming because standard Java is also Groovy. The syntax is legal. Also, the Groovy code compiles to Java byte code so you can call Groovy from Java and vice versa. Definitely go to the Groovy homepage to see what Groovy looks like. So far my favorite things are the SQL connectors and the MarkupBuilders. So much boilerplate or at least tedious code is completely taken care of by Groovy itself, so you can focus on the actual problem. That's much better.

I'm trying to replace a javascript that we use to launch some Java apps with a Groovy script. More later...

Overall, I enjoyed Andrew's tutorial. He was the first of many presenters to use a Mac at the conference. Wish I had one...

No comments: